When you create a menu for your site, there may be times when you need to include a link to an external website. Examples I can think of off the top of my head are linking out to PayPal for donations, or to an offsite registration form. Maybe you have a sister company that you would like to direct users to, or you have created a store with a site builder such as Shopify. There could be any number of reasons to send you site visitors to a site but have that link in your menu.
It is a good standard practice to have these external links open in a new window. In this guide, I will explain how to achieve both of these things in the WordPress menu.
To add the menu item:
- In the dashboard go to Appearance > Menus
- Select the menu where you want the link to appear.
- Under Add Menu Items, click Custom Links.
- Enter the URL of the external page and the words you want to appear in the menu.
- Click Add to Menu. The new link will appear at the bottom of the menu structure to the right.
- Expand the new menu item, and check the Open link in a new tab option.
- Click Save Menu.
The new link now appears in your menu and, when clicked, it will open in a new window.